May 27, 2011 :: Posted by - kittyluver :: Category - Diseases
It is now widely believed that the diabetes in human is disorder of immune system. Same is the reason for diabetes in cat too. Here the disorders results from insufficient production and release of insulin from the pancreas. It is mandatory to get to know about cat diabetes for a cat lover. Nowadays cat diabetes is mostly appreciated among house cat population.
In general the reason for break down of immune system is the excess load put on the immune system. The burden mostly is chemical burden. If more chemicals enter the feline body, sooner than latter the immune system will go on strike. The chemicals gain entry in to the feline body by way of drugs, vaccines, garden pesticides, the cleaning chemical used for cleaning the utensils of the cat etc. the chemical do enter the cat’s body through the preservatives used in the food.
The commercial cat food is well processed and is delivered packet, box or can. One has to use the preservatives in the commercial food as the food is not going to be consumed immediately. These preservatives are nothing but few chemical substances. These substances are not organic and hence exert chemical pressure on the immune system of the cat.
We all know that the cats are very sensitive to chemicals and hence are affected most. The cat that stays in cattery is worst affected as most of the catteries use very strong chemical to clean the pens and utensils to reduce the load of the contamination. But the cats suffer in the long run because of the chemicals used.
There are few things that one can try to prevent these cats from suffering. Let’s discuss about then here.
1. The cats once diagnosed of diabetic, they should be given diabetic cat food immediately. The food should not contain any preservatives.
2. The cat should be given 3-4 small meals instead of 1 or 2 large meals.
3. The food that is offered to the diabetic cat must have low fat content because the pancreas needs to produce more enzymes to digest the fat in food.
4. The food should not contain simple sugars and carbohydrates. Suficient care should be taken to select such a cat food.
5. Chromium helps in better utilization of insulin; hence care should be taken to provide sufficient chromium in cat food.
6. Allow the cat to play more. This way the cat will spend some energy and get some exercise. Exercise reduces the need of insulin.
Obtaining knowledge about the cat diabetes not only help to maintain the affected cat , but also help a lot to prevent the cat diabetes.